Friday, July 9, 2010

I've never done this before...

So...I've never blogged before. But I thought it would be a good way to share with anyone interested what is going on in our lives. If you're reading this, thanks! And I hope I can keep you entertained.

Scott and I have been in Bahrain for about 3 weeks now. We moved into our villa a week ago, and are loving it. We both swim in the pool at least once a day, if not more. We love having all the extra space. We love not having to share a wall with anyone. And I love being able to cook in my own kitchen again! The stove is electric though, so that's been a bit of an adjustment. We are still living out of our luggage, but expect our unaccompanied baggage to be delivered on Sunday! Yipee! Finally a computer and all of my kitchen appliances! Our HHG (Household Goods) should be arriving in less than a month. Our villa is pretty much fully furnished, which has been nice for the time being, but our landlord said that once our furniture arrives, he will remove any of his furniture we now longer want/need.

This past week, Scott started training for his job. He works A LOT. He either has PT (Physical Training) or Quarters (I guess kinda like a meeting) everyday. This on top of a 12 hour work shift makes for long days. We only live about 15 minutes from base though so Scott has been really enjoying the shorter commute. He works Sunday through Thursday with Friday and Saturday (the weekend out here) off. He also gets all holidays off. Yay!

I have been in contact with my school this past week, and am trying to start back up with my classes ASAP. I would love to be finished with my AA by the end of this year. I also found out that I can take the math CLEP here on base. The math CLEP is a test that I can take that, if I pass, will count for two classes that I need to complete my degree. It would be really great if I passed this test as it would save me 9 weeks of school and thousands of dollars in tuition! Scott has been talking about finishing his Masters, but we will see how that goes. I think it will be awhile before he starts his thesis. He wants to get settled in at work and everything first, which is understandable.

Our puppies are still in the states =( Fortunately we have a fantastic friend that has been taking great care of them. Because it is so hot out here, the airlines have a summer embargo on shipping all pets to the Middle East. We have to wait until October to have them sent out. We are anxiously awaiting their arrival!

Bahrain has been a great experience so far. The people have all been very nice, respectful, and friendly. The food has been fantastic! Fast food has the quality of a sit down restaurant, and sit down restaurants have the best food we have ever tasted! Neither one of us has gotten sick either haha! We're happy about that. Jet lag was pretty rough for the first couple weeks though. We would fall asleep around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning. We were both dizzy and lightheaded sometimes, dehydrated, and almost always sleepy. We both seem to be getting into the swing of things now. It's very very hot here. And humid somedays too! Outdoor activities are pretty much out of the question until it starts to cool down. We're both looking forward to doing more exploring though once that does happen.

I think that's all for now. I plan on blogging here on a regular basis, hopefully I can keep up with it. Thanks for reading =)

No comments:

Post a Comment