Monday, July 26, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Today I made my first batch of laundry detergent since moving to Bahrain. I already had all the supplies needed leftover from Virginia, so that made it easy. I definitely do need to make it a priority to check out the stores here to see what's available to me though. I may need to start ordering my supplies from amazon, but hopefully I can find what I need locally. Anyways, I thought I would put this recipe up just in case anyone is interested. I think it's fanfriggintabulous and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Especially if you have an overly sensitive husband, like myself, with the softest baby-like skin you've ever seen (according to his tattoo artist). Or, if you actually have a baby.

Step #1 Grate 2 cups of soap. I use this pretty pink Zote soap. Some people use the Fels Naptha laundry soap.


Step #2 Add 1 cup of Washing Soda.


Step #3 Add 1 cup of Borax.


And MIX! I bought a Rubbermaid plastic container at the commissary for my detergent. And I just kept one of those green scoops from one of my old containers of store bought laundry detergent. One batch lasts me 30 days, and I haven't exactly figured out the cost (cuz I'm just lazy), but it's cheap! Trust me. Enjoy!

Oh, and I started school again today. Yipee! Everything went really well, the internet stayed strong while I posted all of my assignments for today. We are getting our own broadband installed tomorrow so crappy internet should be a thing of the past. One of my IT classes this session is called, Image Editing and Implementation. Basically I get to learn how to use Photoshop and my final project is a scrapbook. Amazing! Thanks for reading y'all!

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Thanks for sharing! What do you use to grate the soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem =) I just got a little grater with a handle on it at Target I think. I forgot to add that the more finely the soap is grated the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't boil the soap down? I've made liquid homemade laundry detergent for years now. I guess your recipe is for dry, huh? lol I realize that now that I'm thinking over what you typed. Happy Laundering!!

    ReplyDelete